More Opinion by The Springboard

The Issue of Terrorism Is Not A Jobs Issue
"Actor Mandy Patinkin suggested that, in regard to the Middle East, if we give them the best roads, the best medical technology, agriculture, and infrastructure they would not feel cheated. The crux of his argument is that if they (the Middle East) have all of these amenities afforded them, they won't be so inclined to go after Western civilization. The argument is reminiscent of many on the left who have made the suggestion that jobs are the key to ending terrorism."

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Sometimes You Simply Root For Sideways Stock Movement

Options in the stock market are something I enjoy using from time to time simply to generate cash. I actually really like them. Especially when a stock is trading in a range that already has you showing a profit on paper, you can generate wads of cash doing it this way.

I always sell options contracts. I never buy them. Or at least I rarely do.

Cypress Semiconductor is one such stock that has been trading rather nicely in the past month or so, and so I decided it was time to generate some additional cash and sell some contracts on the underlying stock.

I made a pretty little penny, and I want to do it again next month as well on this one. I sold covered calls with a $15 strike price for February. It is trading today at around $14.15 and the expiration is of course about 30 days away.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that the stock continues to rise a little bit of course, but also trades a bit sideways until the calls expire. The beauty of these things is that even if the stock is at $14.99 on the day of expiration, it is unlikely I will be called. I get to keep my shares, continue to earn dividends on them, and when I go to sell March contracts hopefully I'll be close enough to the mark to sell them at a $16 strike price.

Best of all worlds.

The key for me is simply to get as much out of any stock I own as I possibly can. That's the plan for Cypress Semiconductor. There's another currently on my radar, but I don't like the market price right now for it's calls.

In due time. I am patient, and the contracts I sold for Cypress should more than allow me some time to wait to pull the trigger on the other candidate.

Photo credit: Image is from Springboard Images.


No comments: